Thursday, February 4, 2010

New Activity Challenge!

Each week, I am committed to posting my successes and failures for the week, as well as weekly goals I would like to achieve (see this weeks post tomorrow after my weigh-in). I have to admit that these "mini" goals that I set for myself each week have really driven my success in these past few weeks. Tonight was my "last chance workout" (those of you that watch Biggest Loser know what I'm talking about)....it's the last workout I have to put it all on the floor and work my butt off before I weigh-in in the morning. It's not really a time to make-up for my slip-ups for the week, but it is a chance for me to really get a good solid workout and make sure my body sweats away everything it can before I weigh-in. Tonight I had my best one yet with my interval cardio workout.....

I have been using the treadmill more and more recently because deep down I think know I want to be a runner. The treadmill, as some of you may know, is one of my life's nemeses because it KILLS me every time (at least that's what I thought).  However, since using the treadmill these past three weeks as my main cardio routine (aside from my new spinning class, which I will be blogging about soon), I have really improved with my workouts. 

Tonight, I did an interval routine where I ran at 5.5 - 5.7 mph for 2 minutes and then walked at 3.3-3.4 mph for two minutes for a total of 40 minutes! To some, this may seem like a lot, and to some it may not seem like much at all. I can tell you that for me, it was the hardest I've pushed myself in a while and it was a major achievement! I was really proud of this since three weeks ago I was barely walking at 3.2 mph and running at 5.0 mph for two minutes each for a mere 20 minutes.

The Challenge!
Needless to say, tonight on the treadmill I came up with a personal challenge for myself....I'm giving myself two months (until April 1st) to be run a mile in 10 minutes or less.....

Back in December I pushed myself to run a mile in barely under 12 minutes, and I was amazed that I could do it. After I did it, my legs were crying, but it still felt amazing.  However, it's time to beat this! Therefore, April 1 will by the day I turn the treadmill up to 6.0 mph and just do it!  Of course, in the meantime I will be training to reach this goal, but it's time to do it!

2 comments:

  1. I am hoping that I can find some kind of inspiration in your hard work. keep up the good work. I would love to run a marathon, but given i am exhausted walking to the ramp,that is not going to happen any time soon.

    Lee ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Le ann -- We all start somewhere!!! I started 43 pounds heavier than I am now....You can do it! I'll help in any way I can!! Let's start doing the stairs like we talked about!

    ReplyDelete