Thursday, February 11, 2010

Habits: the good, the bad, and the ugly....

Many of you can probably relate to how hard it is to break bad habits (and create new ones).  I read a study somewhere sometime (no, I'm not going to cite to it) that said you need to do something consistently for 21 days in order to form a new habit. That doesn't sound like a long time, but think about it this way:  It takes the equivalent of three weeks worth of PERFECT and CONSISTENT days to form a new habit. I don't know about you, but that task seems daunting.

This isn't to say that a person can't form form a new habit over a longer period of time. Personally it takes me a long time to form a new habit and even longer to break an old one. However, if there is one thing I've learned so far over this journey, it is that  really need to find ways to get rid of old unhealthy habits and create new healthier ones.

My Healthy Habits
I have been successful in changing my habits in several ways: I workout 4-5 days a week usually at 5:30 in the morning, which, if you ask me, needs to be habitual if you intend to keep that kind of schedule going; I eat a healthy breakfast every morning; I tend to eat mostly healthy meals throughout my week; I'm able to push myself to attain a goal; etc...

However, this past weekend, I found myself falling back into old habits that I need to break if I truly am going to be successful (and keep this weight off). I know that myself alone is to blame, but I also would like to blame the Superbowl (even though I know my argument here is weak).....

I was the host of a Superbowl party, and it was a fat-man's paradise!!! The food that we had included (thanks to all of my awesome friends): pizza, chicken wings, pigs in a blanket (I made a healthy version of these), spinach artichoke dip, buffalo chicken dip, chili, chips, salsa, guacamole, cheese, crackers, pepperoni, sausage meatballs stuffed with mozzarella cheese, fruit salsa with graham crackers, cookies, and homemade hostess cupcakes (the chocolate kind with frosting in the middle).  Of course, we can forget the tremendous amounts of beer, malt beverages, and wine that was there for consumption as well.

Needless to say being surrounded by so much food and drink, I binged more than I have in over a month. I couldn't stop myself...I mean, it would be RUDE as a host for me to not try everything, right?!  WRONG!  I regret the decisions I made this weekend, and I realized after the fact that this is one habit I need to change. It took me four days to get back to (and slightly below) my weigh-in weight from last week...

One thing realized: I need to find a way to be in social situations involving food and NOT overindulge. This isn't to say that I can't enjoy the food, but I need to make a new habit where I limit what I eat and have boundaries when placed in these situations. I know they will come up again, and I need to be ready next time!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Neil,
    I love reading all your updates - you are so motivated!
    A good tip for not eating to much in social situations is to eat a filling, healthy meal before you go, so you're nice and full. Then you can just take a taste of all the goodies. I do it mostly to keep from eating the entire cheese plate by myself and it really helps. Good cheese is a total weakness of mine but my tummy cannot handle that much dairy...
    Hope all is well,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. One great tip I learned at WW meetings was to change the flavor. For instance, instead of eating a dozen wings, have one wing, then immediately eat something else low in points - it changes up the flavors, so you do keep craving the same thing. This helps a lot with french fries, too. Eat a couple, then have a pickle. you won't need to keep eating the fries (of course, need and want are very hard to distinguish). Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can sooo relate to this! Reading blogs like this make you realize that you are not alone in this struggle. Everyday someone else is going thru the same battle. I read Bitch Cake's blog and it makes me happy to see the success she has had. Hang in there Bro, we can do it.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete