Monday, October 11, 2010

Losing weight 101: It's easy.....

I want to let you all in on a little secret that I heard the other day: Losing weight is easy.....didn't you know that? (Just in case this isn't coming across correctly....yes, I'm being sarcastic)

I want to change this saying... losing weight is easy if your ready and willing to put in the time and effort, determination to change your mindset, and most importantly changing your habits. Sounds easy, right?

Losing weight is not easy, but it is possible.  I've learned that first hand over the years (yes, I've been a weight watcher member for nearly 4 years, and am well on my way to goal...).  What does it take? For me lately, it took months of frustration and working my ass off (literally) to not get results on the scale.  Ever since this summer finished, I've been working out hard....really hard.....with my trainer and by myself, and I was not really seeing results on the scale.  That all changed this past week....

WHAT CHANGED?
I've been working out these past 6 weeks the hardest I've ever worked out.  I can feel myself getting stronger, and I am starting to see results in my clothes.  But why was all of this effort not showing up on the scale? Easy: it was the food I was eating.  I was eating within my weight watchers points *most* days, although there were 3-4 day stretches where I wasn't tracking.  THREE to FOUR days of NOT tracking...out of 7.  That means that I only know I was within my points 42-57% of the time....not good enough.  I went back to tracking.  Nobody, including myself likes it, but it works. Plain and simple.

Also, protein has become my best friend.  Simply put, I was eating too many useless points of empty carbs.  They are the thing of the past.  My snacks have turned into the following (in order from high protein, low carb to higher carb, lower protein):

cottage cheese (my go to)
cheese sticks
protein shakes with milk
yogurt with peanuts (an amazing combination that I highly recommend)
beef jerky
apples
bananas
pumpkin seeds (yes, they have carbs, but a little fills me a lot.....)

I have not cut out carbs completely.  I just try to focus on protein first, and then if I have a little carbs later, its okay.....

THE RESULT?

DOWN 4 pounds this week (and I look good)! Since I went back to weight watchers after taking the month of August off (traveling around the world....only gaining 5 pounds), I have lost every week.  I know this seems like success,  but I wasn't losing enough for how hard I was working out.  From August 21 to Sept 30, I lost 1.8 pounds TOTAL.....over a month.  Not good enough.

This week, I tracked EVERYDAY (including my alcohol on the weekend), held myself accountable, went to the gym, and got results. I'm proud to say I'm finally back comfortably in the 230s, and well on my way to reaching my 20 pound weight loss goal by Christmas (might even get there by thanksgiving!)

MORAL OF THE STORY?
See above....losing weight is easy if your ready and willing to put in the time and effort, determination to change your mindset, and most importantly changing your habits.

If you think you're doing everything you need to, but not getting the results you want, check yourself.  As my amazing WW leader, Angela, often says, "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten."  If you're not getting the results you want, change something and see if it works. I tried it, and it is definitely working for me.

OTHER BIG NEWS
I was able to get 15 of my co-workers to join weight watchers with me!!! What does this mean?  I have support around me ALL DAY (and my leader comes to the office, which is much more convenient).

This past week, EVERY SINGLE PERSON LOST (GO KSLN WWs!!!)! 16 people -- all down on the scale. Talk about motivation! I'm excited to see what we all look like at the firm holiday party in January.  It's gonna be quite a sight!

Take care for now.  I will try to post a little more frequently.  Thanks for reading!

1 comment: